The Historical Society was founded in 1964 to help preserve local historic sites, to expand our knowledge and understanding of history, and to share that knowledge with the community.

Visit / Contact / Map


Visit our Museums - Learn About Local History 

During archaeological excavations and building restoration, our museums gave up many secrets - coins that had fallen between floorboards, a sketch scraped into the paint of a plank, and even fired clay with the fingerprint of our potter who was born over 300 years ago.


Dewees PaintingDewees Tavern - 301 W. Main Street, Trappe 

Originally built between 1740 and 1750, has served as a tavern, court, polling place, and stage coach stop.  Now it grandly serves as the home of the Historical Society and interprets the history of Trappe, Collegeville, and the Perkiomen Valley.

Inside you will find artifacts from archaeological excavations, a collection of locally woven coverlets and household items from the common to the unexpected - be sure to see our ice coffin!

Our research library contains books on local and regional history as well as family bibles, deeds, photographs, rare books, vintage magazines, scrapbooks, and journals.  Our family files and historian can help genealogical research.



Muhlenberg cropped

The Henry Muhlenberg House - 201 W Main Street, Trappe

provided a historic surprise during its renovation in the early 1990's.  

Archaeologists found that a redware kiln had been on the property prior to the house being built about 1755.  The kiln,  one of the earliest known in this country, likely dates to around 1720.  

The house, originally built by John Schrack, has been faithfully restored to its 1756 appearance.  It is furnished to reflect the period of 1777 - 1786 when it was occupied by it's most famous resident, Henry Melchior Muhlenberg.

Visitor Information